book7

Book 7

I’m Meep: a 20something librarian, originally from New England, living in Tokyo. I eat books and bleed poetry.

Mistletoe and Murder
Face Value: The Hidden Ways Beauty Shapes Women's Lives
Autumn Whitefield-Madrano
A Christmas Carol
Charles Dickens

Happier at Home: Kiss More, Jump More, Abandon a Project, Read Samuel Johnson, and My Other Experiments in the Practice of Everyday Life - Gretchen Rubin I didn't like this book as much as the first. Not much was new, and Rubin's failure to account for race, class and gender in her analysis of happiness made for a boring read. I did like some of the suggestions - scheduling fifteen minutes a day to do something unpleasant, for example - but this is definitely more aspirational than informative and she presents herself as utterly clueless about her class privilege. Yawn. Nobody will ever read my Happiness Project, not because I couldn't think of something to say (she said very little in this book that she hadn't said in the first one) but because I'm not a very wealthy former lawyer who knows all the right people and lives in a very nice apartment building.